Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The First Time I was Lost


The very first time that I can remember being lost was in a large warehouse style grocery store when I was six. If I remember back far enough, I believe that it was a Sam's Club. The aisles were huge, towering even, and wide enough to fit an elephant. On the weekends, Sam's Club offered free samples of different foods that would make any kid's mouth water. My Mom was in a hurry to finish the last of her chores on the list, so when she walked away from me as I was attempting to snag another small sample of the newest frozen waffle, I found myself lost in the gigantic store. I walked down the aisle that I last saw her, peeked out both ways at the end. Again, I did not see her. I traveled back the other way, peeked again. Still didn't see her. I checked the aisles to the left and right, again, no Mom to be found. It was at this moment, after maybe just three minutes, despair and panic set in. Being just six years old, I was not sure how I was supposed to react or what to do. So naturally, I started crying. Wailing may be the more appropriate word. I just sat on a large sack of dog food, screaming, until finally a Sam's Club employee came over to see what was wrong. It was at that exact time that the announcer came on overhead to say that there was a missing child. The employee brought me up front to the customer service desk to be reunited with my Mom.

The relief that I felt when I ran into my Mom’s arms was incredible. Of course, I was still crying, but this time the tears were joyous, not of fear. Then, the tears turned back into fear as my Mom preceeded to spank me in front of God and everyone in the store. Naturally, it was my fault that I was lost because I had gone out on a quest for the sampling of frozen waffles, but I did not think that I would be punished. That particular thought had not even crossed my mind. In my six year old little brain, the relief of finding me, and I her, would make up for the basic fact that I had broken a simple rule and wandered away from her. Looking back now, I would have liked to ask her how she lost track of me. Where was her punishment? I did not see her scolded or spanked. But in all jest, I am thankful for that day overall. It always stuck with me in a way that I should pay attention to my surroundings, even nowadays. As for the punishment, I deserved it in all fairness. I had in fact broken the rule of staying within my parent’s line of sight, and believe me when I say; I made sure I didn’t run away.

I do not remember many things from my childhood growing up, but I sure remember that scary adventure. I never looked at frozen waffles the same way either

1 comment:

  1. Zac -- You are another one of those writers whose stuff is just fun to read because of your perspective and sense of humor. I like the recurrence of the frozen waffles here, but I really like the moments when you're presenting this story as a six-year-old (like the towering aisles wide enough for an elephant).

    I think it would've been really cool to stay in that persona for the being lost portion of the story. Beyond being cool, though, a good reason for that approach would be sharing your experience with your readers. It's one thing to look back with grown-up eyes on how things went down, but it would be more engaging and more lifelike to really get the six-year-old experience for the main event. That's something to keep in mind for all of your narratives. Characters and experiences ring true when they are consistent. We want six-year-olds to sound like six-year-olds.

    The one other issue I want you to think about is paragraphing. Your post has a clear organizational system. We get an intro, we get the getting lost, we get the getting found, and we get a conclusion. But if you look in the lost and found paragraphs, you'll find some pretty clear parts that could've been developed as their own paragraphs. Keep that in mind as you write.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing what funny images you deliver next. :)

    ReplyDelete