Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sitting on my Death Bed


Death is one subject that none of us can dodge. Every year, month, day, hour, and minute we are getting closer to the unavoidable end. If I could choose, would I want to know the exact time or place I was going to die? I think I would not. However, if I am laying on my death bed, preferably in my own home on my comfortable flannel sheets, there are words that I would want to pass down to those closest to me.

To my dearly loved one who I had planned to spend most of my life with, I love you. I want you to know that I cherish every single moment that I have spent with you. It may not have been very long we were together, but it seemed like an eternity. Every single moment was special be it waiting in line for two minutes at the DMV, watching Mark Cuban and Robert Hershavek fight on Shark Tank, or visiting with your family who accepted me as their own. You made me want to be a better person, a better Christian, and most importantly be someone worthy enough to share the same last name. If these are the last breaths I am to take on this Earth, my single greatest wish for you is to be happy. Move on past me. I do not want you to grieve long; I want you to celebrate for not everyone in this lifetime will experience what we have. If you can find joy in another’s arms, I want you to grasp it. I will come to you from Heaven above to give you the guidance you may seek, and I will also be with you in every step you take from here until you meet me at Heaven’s gate.

To my parents, I am so incredibly sorry that you outlived me. I always joked when I was younger that I wanted to be the first to go, because I could not bear the pain of living this life without my biggest supporters. Now as I slip away into God’s bright light, I wish the utmost happiness to you both. Take care of each other, for you know not when your time comes. I will say high to all the loved ones we have lost, and I will find my beloved childhood dog and take him hunting. Worry not for my soul for the guidance that you blessed me with growing up has led me to this peaceful state that I currently reside in. God is waiting for me as I will wait for you.

To my closest friends, I wish to not name you, but you know who you are. You changed me for the better, yet there is still so much that I wish to say. Never go to bed mad at one another or your spouse. Anger can breed into an ugly monster, and I pray that you never meet him. If you are going to work hard, you must play hard. Take time for your family, and most importantly take time to create your family. One of God’s greatest gifts is children, and I hope he blesses each of you with a child that can mirror the best qualities of each of you. You were not born my family, but I chose you to share my life’s path with each of you. You each hold a special trait that endured me to you, so please continue to share that with the world.
            
I have lived because I have loved. Enjoy every moment as if it were your last, and love so greatly and tenderly. Forgive those who earn it, for it is a miracle that happens within you. I thank each of you for making my life a fulfilled one, and remember that I am watching down upon you. My physical body may leave your eye sight, but my spirit will continue to grow with you. Never give up on your dreams; love more fiercely than you hate. 

1 comment:

  1. Zac -- What is it about deathbed farewells that makes everyone get all formal and biblical??? I know these entries are very serious and thoughtful, but I always giggle a bit when I get to them because these writers who've been producing pieces packed with personality and voice all turn into the same wise, old speaker when it comes time for this prompt.

    I did, though, enjoy the Shark Tank reference. In that moment, this piece felt very authentic. :)

    So. . . I don't think this one is going to be your portfolio piece, but I do like this as a thought exercise to get us all to remember our priorities.

    ReplyDelete